The Department of Agriculture was established in 2018. The vision of the Department is to be an international excellence centre in the provision of competency-based education and training (CBET) in agricultural training, research and innovations. The department is committed in training and development of qualified, resourceful and innovative agricultural professionals with the ample ability to use problem solving skills in promoting agricultural production. The focus of training is to equip trainees with the necessary knowledge, skills and altitude required to establish careers in numerous areas of interest including self-employment, government and private sectors as well become competitive in job market. This is done via the involvement of trainees in practical work including Agricultural research, practical work and field attachments.
Currently, the department offers the following courses;
- Diploma in General Agriculture
- Craft Certificate in General Agriculture
- Artisan in General Agriculture
- Horticultural Nursery management Level 3 -CBET
The department’s long-term goal is to play a significant role in enhancing food security in Kenya. As such, it intends to introduce the following competence-based courses
- Agripreneurship Level 4-6 -CBET.
- Nursery Management Level 4-6 -CBET.
- Horticultural Production Level 3-6-CBET.
- Poultry Kienyeji Chicken Operator Level 3 –CBET.